Why Indian Desi Cow Ghee is So expensive – Updated
The desi cow ghee is made from the milk of Indian Desi cows (e.g. Gir cow breeds). This is a 2-3 day process, depending on cows health, milking productivity, weather or environmental conditions.
Similarly, ghee cost also depends on the feed and maintenance of cows cost, how many cows giving the quality milk, how much fat that contains in a litre of milk, how much butter is getting after churning the curd etc.
Milk is converted to curd, churning the curd we get butter and buttermilk. After that, we boil the obtained butter in a liquid form and it’s popularly known as Desi Cow Ghee i.e. A2 ghee.
We all know that All people must eat Indian Desi Cow ghee to be live healthy. Our traditional method of preparing bilona ghee as mentioned in the Vedic literature.
What is desi cow ghee?
Modern science has verified what our ancient Ayurvedic health science had said for long long years back as Cow Ghee (Also known as A2 ghee) is very crucial for our health and cooking benefits.
It’s been proved as Ambrosia for the mind and spirit. But for business purposes or money-minded people can’t make quality Ghee which must be made from Milk to Curd, Curd to Butter and from that Butter to Ghee. But small dairy owners or lazy farmers ghee making process is very polluted.
Now we are going to see how to make ghee from cow milk.
How to make ghee – The ultimate process
One needs to understand the scientific process involved in ghee making from Milk, curd, butter(Loni/लोणी) and finally to ghee.
But we need natural materials to process ghee from curd and butter as follows, 1 Wooden Cherner (For Curd Churning call wooden bilona/लकडी बिलोना) 2 Clay pots to boil milk and make curd 3 Cow dungs must be used to boil milk (if we get milk from which cow we have to use her cow dung only).
After boiling milk need to get it’s stated to be lighter warmer and adding little curd in it makes whole boiled milk to curd in 8 to 12 hours. In summer – 8 hours In rainy/winter – 12+ hours.
After that churning process must be done in a collected clay pot to get butter. The churning process takes 1 to 2 hours to get butter. And obtained butter needed to boil in a clay pot to get high-quality ghee in which all minerals, nutrients, vitamins are available for a healthy body and essential to the daily diet.
Have you ever heard about “God Particle” (Hugs – Boson), 2-3 years back it was in news (proton collision). This is the same phenomenon occurs in ghee making process when churning of curd (also called in Hindi/Marathi language as a Manthan).
This process shows readymade knowledge about God Particles long years ago in Vedas. No one tells this.
Indian Desi Cow Ghee Cost Calculation –
Normally Original and Pure Indian Desi cow Ghee costs vary and depend upon milk’s Fat i.e. mostly 3.5% to 6%. If cow milk contains 3.5% fat and from that, we made butter, so ghee’s production plus packaging price starts from Rs. 2500(INR).
Let’s understand this costing process as follows,
1. If 1 Litre milk contains 3.5% of fat, then we get 3.5gm of Butter from it.
2. When we boil the butter to get ghee, 70% of it gets the ghee. i.e. suppose 1000gm butter got to converted to 700gm ghee. It’s an average calculation.
3. To get the 1000gm or 1kg of Ghee, 30 to 40 litres of milk required. So nowadays A2 milk cost starts from Rs. 70 to 120 depending on the demand-supply ratio. But we just take Rs.70/liter price (Wholesale price) and we get ====> 30*70 = Rs.2100 only production cost of ghee.
4. Labour cost Rs.200 per day and if we get the wooden churning process to get the butter, further converting to ghee requires burning charges. So on an average Rs. 250 per day requires for production of 1kg Ghee. On 1st day boiling the milk, a 2nd day early in the morning to churn the curd to get butter and after that boils the required butter to ghee, so total boiling charges ==> Rs.50
5. After that Packaging. Ghee must be kept in a clay or glass vessel. As per Gov. standard ghee must be kept in a Glass vessel which costs from Rs.250 to 450.
6. Total Production Cost+Labour and burning charges+Packaging charges —
2100+250+300 = Rs.2750.
Rs. 2750 is the standard Cost price at farmers place.
7. Transportation charges depend on a person’s delivery distance or whether he sells on online e-commerce sites like Amazon or Flipkart where these companies shipping and delivery policy. We take it on an average Rs. 100 per Kg.
8. At the retail store, the retailer would charge a commission on each kg of ghee is from 3% to 10%. i.e. 2850*(5%) = Rs.2992.5.
So Retailer sells 1kg of Ghee for Rs3000(rounded off amount) per kg.
for 1Kg = Rs.3000
for Half Kg = Rs. 1500
for 250gm = Rs.750
for 100gm = Rs.300
Above all prices are on 3.5% fat of milk’s ghee. And also a fat aspect of milk varies from season to season and strongly depends on climatic-environmental conditions.
In summer fat percentage would vary between 2.5% to 3.5% which ultimately costs ghee about 1kg price. As lowers the fat percentage, ghee price increases.
We explained above Ghee making process and prices only on the assumed fat percentage of 3.5% and milk price of Rs.70. If fat increases to 5%, ghee costs lower till Rs. 2500.
Need of Awareness in Indian market about Desi Cow Ghee –
Similarly, in Indian market where some Indian Desi Cow Ghee makers sell 1kg ghee for Rs.800 to Rs 2000, these all are made from milk’s cream, in which only fat content was used to produce ghee and boiled milk would be sold to local household in the name of Fresh A2 milk (By chilling at 8 degree Celcius temp.).
Obviously, it’s profitable for traditional dairy owners as a win-win situation. And as we are Indians who don’t have to get information about Desi ghee making process where all villagers know but today’s modern lifestyle made them be unaware of this knowledge.
Watch It –
So be aware of the quality of ghee which is money-minded people openly selling in the market in the name of desi cow ghee(a2 desi cow ghee). We don’t know the production process of ghee and the milk which is used in it. Desi Ghee tastes very sweet and easily digest but others not.
A1 type of ghee(made from Jersey, HF, etc western born breed cows) also been used to sell ghee in the name of Desi Cows ghee which tastes slightly bitter and indigestible.
If you find this article useful, don’t forget to share it..!!
Also, don’t hesitate to share your doubts in below comments section..!!
Indian Desi Cow Ghee has lots of benefits. Its very effective in following diseases and symptoms,
2. Blood Pressure
3. Mental Health
4. Weight Loss
6. Improves Immune System
8. Very effective to lay it in Naval part by which eye number reduces
10. Joint Pain relief i.e. Very effective in Arthritis
11. Stomach and Intestine Cleaning
12. Improves hormone level
13. Improves brain Functionality especially old age people who suffer from memory loss
14. Good for Lever
15. Also very helpful for Diabetic patients.
16. All types of Hepatitis.
It has lots of benefits where we need more study and research on it. Literally speaking in some area of India local Gau Palak (Cow caring people or group), has already successfully treated above-mentioned diseases.
Where to buy ghee?
In my opinion, I would recommend to go nearby Gaushala and ask them to prepare bilona ghee i.e. A2 ghee for you. If they agree, it’ll be great. Else you can buy from below link.
This product is tested by myself, that’s why I am recommending to you. If you have other brands or local genuine supplier then It would be great.
Still, I am recommending go to your nearby gaushala to get fresh desi cow ghee and you can see ghee cost could vary region to region.
Don’t indulge about why ghee cost is so expensive here and there. Always remember, ghee cost depends on the fat of milk and how much milk cows giving to that farmer. If fat is high enough ghee cost will decrease, as milk requirement will be less than lower-fat milk of cow.
Coming articles – Weightloss
Thank for reading this. Stay tuned with us about unique articles on Reality of contemporary developments, Mind Science, Health, Business, Politics and much more.
Commonly Asked Questions or FAQ’s
What is pure desi ghee?
Which desi ghee is best?
Which is the best desi ghee in India?
Must watch the above video. This video is in the Hindi Language.